Thursday, May 21, 2009

The DO's and DON'Ts ....

Of Cruising...(in my opinion)...
We went on our first cruise a couple of weeks ago and it was a NICE, RELAXING, time-away, esp. so because we had no kids! So...


DO go on a trip without children once in a while. We did miss our kids near the end, but this time together -without interruptions or distractions -was really needed and therapeutic. We saw other couples on board with strollers and crying babies and thought -wow, so glad that's not us. Thanks to our family who watched our little ones!

DO go with someone else though. Particularly someone you enjoy being with and talking to. We went with Marty's sister and her husband-who live in California and we don't get to see them often. I 'm so glad they came. It made the trip more exciting and fun. At dinner each night we sat together, just the four of us, and had a GREAT time. I looked around at other 'couples' (just 2 people) and they just looked bored and ran out of things to talk and laugh about.
DON'T order wine unless you realize it's going to be an 'extra' charge on your bill...ALL drinks are NOT included. (Russ posed for this picture actually to be funny. He knew 'his' drink each night would cost him (but it can really add up fast.))
DON'T go on a Mexican cruise when there is a pending swine-flu pandemic. We only stopped at ONE port in Catalina Island. I was 'grateful' we didn't stop in Mexico (Ensenada) but it made for 2 whole days on a ship.
DON'T sign up for an 'onshore excursion' (thru the cruise line) unless you know it is impossible to do on your own when you get off the boat. We went kayaking, which was AWESOME, but we paid a hundred dollars to do it. When we got off the boat we realized we could rent our own kayaks for 40 bucks for the same amount of time! Yes, it was nice to have a guide tell us the history of the Island and paddle around with us, and we got a really yummy cookie/snack halfway through. But in the end I would have rather paid less than 1/2 the price and made my own experience.
DO dress up for the dinners. We always sat in the restaurant for dinner each night and it was really nice. There is one night where you can dress really formal. We didn't go all out but still wore a dress. The other nights I wish I'd have brought nicer shirts to wear to dinner instead of a bunch of T-shirts.
DO keep covered. It's nice to lay out in the sun and relax/read, but I've learned the hard way about protecting my skin. A little sun is nice but too many people got fried on board. I wish I could go back in time and chill out about being so tan. Believe me 3 surgeries and melanoma cancerous moles later...I am an advocate about being careful in the sun.
DO try the slide - just once. We did but the boys were too chicken. It was ICE cold sea water! Not what I was expecting.
DO bond as much as you can with your hubby. It's a special time to be without little ones.
DON'T get 'accidentally' pregnant weeks before the cruise. It doesn't make for the most comfortable of times on ship. AND the food doesn't have quite the glorified affect as everyone tells you it does with the underlying 'yuckies' lurking. Seriously sometimes when I think about the food on board I want to puke and it's not because of the food; it's the fun of pregnancy.

16 comments:

~Sarah said...

You gave some pretty accurate advice about cruising. Sounds like you had a good time. And congratulations on the pregnancy!! So exciting.

Kim said...

What a great post...glad you had fun on your cruise..was loving every bit and then BAM - saving the best news for last huh? So excited for ya and congrats!!!! Can we pleeeaase do a girls night soon or something - i miss you and everyone...talk with you soon!

Rosie said...

Aaaggghh! That is so exciting! way to spring that on us at the very last. I am so happy that you guys had the chance to get away. Super excited for the surprise addition as well :)

Rosie said...

By the by, you always look so darn sassy! :)

Brent~April~Kennley said...

I'm so Jealous.....i need a vacation, and it looks like your was so fun! Congrats again on the pregnancy! I won't get to see you the next time you sub cause it's a Tuesday, so hopefully you sub again soon on a Monday!

Em said...

Yay Mindy Yay! Congrats to you two!

You were dead-on with the "cruising" guidelines! Brad and I have went on 2 since we've been married, and have also learned some of those things the hard way. Especially spending money on the on-shore excursions! Ug! It made us so mad. It looks like you guys had a blast. So glad!

Diane Wright said...

You make me smile. It's about time you posted these pictures. Yeaa, I'm going to be a grandma again. Course, I already knew it, but it was fun reading the other ocmments. Love you

cheeks said...

ahhh! so excited when you told me! guess it was meant to be, eh?! glad you had a great time on the cruise and didn't bring back the flu. kind of a crazy time to be headin to mexico!! can't wait to see you!

Keri said...

Jennifer told me you were pregnant - YAY Congrats! I can't wait to go on a cruise, thanks for the tips. Austin refuses to go on our first with another couple but I keep saying that it could get boring without one. :(
We'll see one day when we actually do it! When are you due?

Becca said...

MINDY!!! Oh my word that is AWESOME! Congrats, you guys!!!!! I was just enjoying reading your post and then that last pic totally snuck up on me...wahoo! Okay, I can so imagine the prego/boat/food mix.....ugh! What a bummer. Funny how it really ruins food for you for a while. (What am I saying? It's so not funny.)

Well, sounds like you had a great time. It's so hard to get away without kids. I've never been on a cruise but sounds like some great advice. Can't wait to hear more updates on how you're feeling, when you're due...etc.
Love you!

Rick and Angie said...

Congrats! I enjoyed reading about your trip and your "pleasant surprise" news!!! When are you due? You'll have to read our blog soon - I am going to post some good news!!!

Mary Kelly said...

Such exciting news! Another cutie kid in your family brings a smile to my face. I hope you are feeling a little better now that you are on dry land!

Paige said...

OH MINDY!!! congrats...I loved the post I was cracking up. Looks like your cruise was so fun, if I had been pregnant I would honestly have had to not even go and lost out on the money...so I'm glad you at least braved through it. Do you get very sick? I am on my death bed when I'm pregnant which has never included any moving waves, I can't even imagine!!!! but I am excited for you!! you have darling kids so you may as well have some more!!

Katie said...

You clever thing you! I was thinking what a creative/captivating way to share your cruise pics and then BAMB...the news! So exciting!

I am glad you shared the bit about skin cancer...since we're on the beach again I get all weird about wanting to get tan BUT I've fried myself one too many times also. SPF 50 baby! (sorry to hear about the melanoma creeping up on you though...that bites.)

Anica said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! That's exciting you'll be adding another darling babe to the family. Glad you had fun on your cruise. It's fun to get away, but it doesn't take long until you miss the kiddos.

Rebecca said...

Marty wouldn't go on the slide? What a chicken. You are a funny girl. I like reading your posts.