Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tight...


Not all things are skin tight (like the jeans I just bought-on a mega deal) but our finances have been a little tight lately (with Marty starting up his own practice). I have always been a coupon shopper-not extreme, but definitely shop the sales. I always do my grocery shopping at Walmart...(I know Di, you hate this store but-) they will price match any sale at any gorcery store, so why not get everyones sales AND the things that are on sale at Walmart too! It makes me feel good to save money, esp. on things like food items.

Well the other day I went to Maceys because I had to get a specific food storage item for my MIL and thought I'd use some of their in-store coupons for other things that were a steal of a deal. I went thru the line and showed the checker my coupons in the ad. He told me not to worry about cutting them out and he would run them through for me. Well shopping with 3 kids sometimes is a real bugger. So I wasn't watching, and when I got back home discovered that he didn't give me the coupon price~! The whole reason I even bought the items in the first place! So I had to go back in and have them refund some of the money. Then 2 days later I was in Smiths for some of their 'in-store' coupon prices and SAME THING> they didn't take off the price. I had to go back in AGAIN and get a refund. This is NOT an easy thing to do with kiddos. And it's not a whole lot of money back but it's the principal of it. (One good thing about having to go back into Smiths Customer Service was I noticed that they sell Megaplex tickets for 6.50$!- I always wondered about where to get discounted movie tickets-sweet.)

Anywho...then I was at Goldenwest Credit Union to change something on my account (the checking account from which to pull from to pay our car loan) and they were going to charge me ten dollars to do it.  I asked 'why' the cost?  She said "let me check on that, I'm not sure".  She made a phone call right there in front of me and asked a superior why they charge that fee and if it could be waived.  The superior told her to go ahead and waive the fee.  So luckily I didn't have to pay it...I mean again, ten dollars is not alot, but what was the charge for!  They were just going to stop payment from one bank and start another....who's pocketing the 10 bucks?!  What my conclusion is...people make mistakes-like at the grocery store- you just need to watch as they check you out (cuz it happens alot).  And there are lots of little fees and costs that institutions try to pin on ya (I just saw a clip on the Today Show about this) that aren't really needed or the norm.  So... those of you trying to keep above water in this crazy economical time...be alert!

6 comments:

Rick and Angie said...

I am totally with you on coupons! I think it's FREE money! (Paper Monopoly Money that is...that you really get to spend!) I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing you have only to get back $3-5. But I think...that's $3 bucks! Being a stay home mom is great, and watching every penny is how it's done. I work once a week 3-4 hours. I put an ad on ksl.com for cleaning houses - crazy cause I have worked in the corporate world and have a degree. I'm blown away at what I make every week and I only work minimal hours (one house a week). I had 7+ people call me on my ad in a few hours that I had to remove it, cause I only have time to clean once a week because of my son. I drop the kids off, clean, get a nice break jamming to my ipod, and walk away with some extra cash. :0)

Mindy and Marty said...

angie, thats smart...what a great idea for making some extra cash and doing it on your time and schedule! way to go!

cheeks said...

way to be on top of it mind!! i am a couponer...not extreme, but just taking a few extra minutes a week to clip sunday's paper coupons helps. i started keeping track of what i'd saved and it usually equals about $40/mo (the store i shop at doubles coupons)!

ps... you will look hot rockin' those new jeans! you are so freakin tiny!

Emily said...

way to go, Mind. Seriously, that happens all the time to me too. I hate being "that person" who watches everything that goes through and looks at my receipt, but sometimes it's made the difference of 20 bucks. One thing I do (I also get most of my items at walmart aside from produce/meat), is I pricematch. I spend a good 1 1/2 hours one night a week (after all the ads come out) and circle the best deals on things. I make a list of what I'm getting, the price, and which ad I saw it in. Walmart usually never makes me show the ad when I go through, but I have it just in case. I have cut down my grocery bill by over half. I also combine the pricematches with coupons and sometimes they literally pay me to get the things. Anyway--I think you rock for looking at it and expecting them to honor what's rightfully yours. Love ya.

Mindy and Marty said...

Em, how funny that is exactly the same method I use. I thought that was me talking in your comment. It's not too bad once you get a system going. And your right-half the time they don't even ask to see your ads.

Ali said...

Amen. No, seriously. I had to go back to walmart last year on black friday because they overcharged me on half of my items. It's always good to check. And I hear you on how hard it is to be on top of it with the kiddos. Seriously. I always vow never to take them again, but I always do.