Monday, August 15, 2011

Near Death

I don't know if I've turned into a frenzied, spacey mother or what!?  But Charlie has had these near death experiences in the last 2 weeks and I think I'm losing my mind!  Don't judge me.
  1. The other day I was walking out of a school building with some friends and my three kids in tow.  I get ALL the way out to my car and turn to pick up Charlie to put him in the car seat and he's not there!  "Where's Charlie"?!  I ask my 6 year old Ruby-like she should be the one in charge of him.! " I don't know" , she responds.  I look all around the car and parking lot and realize I never noticed if he was even with us leaving the bldg.!  So I run back up the steps and some nice lady is trying to keep him inside as she is leaving saying "You can't come out alone little guy, I don't see your mommy".  THANK YOU kind lady for saving my baby from walking outside.  He obviously saw us leave and wanted to follow as his oblivious mom didn't give him a second thought as she laughed and giggled her way out of the bldg.
2.  So then, days later, we are swimming at the rec center (which we did 3 days in a row-pics to come).  I was sitting by Charlie in the shallow part watching him run around and some guy splashes me by kicking the water and I turn to see what he is doing -he apologizes and his wife says something funny and I laugh and say ''it's okay, we're at a pool."  One or two other sentences were exchanged and I turn back to Charlie and he is completely submerged on his back and struggling to get up, sit up-whatever...I gasp and dive over to him and yank the poor kid out of the water!  sheesh! Right there before my eyes...I turn away for not even 30 seconds and that's when he decides to go under!  It goes to show you how fast things can happen and it doesn't even have to be deep water!....  CRAZY.
3.  Finally we are at Walmart, my favorite place! ha., and I am checking out with a million groceries.  I am price-matching...which doesn't take that much extra time per-say but I have to stand there and tell the cashier what the prices are.  So I take Charlie out of the cart cuz he's maneuvered the strap up around his neck and is crying.  I set  him down by Ruby and Liam in the isle to look at stuff with them...I don't usually do this but it was one of those days.  I turn back around to quote some prices and it was maybe 30 sec. to a min. and I look around and notice that Charlie is not standing by Ruby anymore.  "Where is Charlie"?!  I ask my 6 year old....sounding familiar.?  I don't see him right around me but I think, he couldn't have gone far...he wouldn't.  Ruby and I split up she runs to one side of the check-out- looks up and down and I go to the other side and look up and down.  It's not like you can yell out his name and he'll respond.  I'm getting a little worried cuz we really don't see him and we're in WALMART.  I instinctively start walking towards the nearest exit which is almost half the length of the store away and I see a girl about my age with a baby  on her  hip...it's Charlie....she found him out-SIDE the electronic doors just struttin' towards the oncoming traffic!  She literally saved him.  I was so, so grateful and wish I'd at least gotten her name.  Note to self...don't let Charlie out of sight , not ever.  Thanks to some guardian angels.  Like I said , don't judge me.  I am not like this with other people's kids (just Charlie I guess, poor boy)...I swear, I'm still trustworthy.

.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my that's scary! Yeah, don't let him out of the house. :) I would be so scared. We will see how I do when Jarom gets to walking.

Diane Wright said...

was this post meant for me. Are you trying to scare me or warn me. Just so you know. Marty had several near death experiences himself. Like Father like son. See you in a couple.

Heather said...

Holy Crap!!! That is hilarious and NOT all at the same time. If it makes you feel better I lost my Parker in Ross the other day and Claire jumped in the pool a few days before that WITHOUT her floaties. Crazy kids!! No wonder we as moms are sometimes flaky, we have to be on our game 24/7!
It was fun to see you at the school the other day. I was so embarrased, sorry I looked so disheveled, it's because I was!!!

Kim said...

This post made me laugh!!! I often feel like I can't keep track of my mind let alone kids. Hey off subject but I have a question and need some help regarding an earlier post. If u have time sometime will u call me? 18017108558. Thx! Haven't caught up for a while anyway.