Monday, September 12, 2011

Labor Day Outdoors!

We spent a night camping at Yankee Meadows.  It was our first camping
experience with Charlie.  It was a riot.
 Literally. 
 (we used melatonin for the first time-an all natural
 sleep enhancer -worked like a charm on the little guy)


We went with our friends that live in Cedar City. 
 They adopted a little girl earlier this year and named her June.
  She is a doll and Charlie couldn't get enough of her!

Cooking smores with George, Ruby and Liam. 
Charlie and June-still hugging.

I used to crave smores over a fire,
 but they are way too much for me now.  Too sweet!
Even the kids couldn't finish a whole one.
Just give me a chocolate bar.
We spent some time at a really pretty river and lake
the next day but my camera was dead...so no pics.  bummer.
Being silly after church on Sunday, we got home
and it was actually cool enough to linger outside for a bit.
I love when fall temperatures start
making there debut-esp. in St. George!

Ruby showing off her knitted sweater and skirt from Grandma Diane. 
It fits perfect Di!


Monday (Labor Day) we went hiking to Red Cliffs with Ricki and Tony and kids in tow.  And let me tell you...with those kids we got along about a foot a minute!  It took us forever to hike a 1/4 mile!  They were so excited about exploring and venturing out.  The top picture is Ruby with her 10 year old sidekick Kenzie. (well lets say Ruby is Kenzie's sidekick)  She had to wear her foraging hat and backpack just like her
 Liam is a little hiker man-he loves being in the outdoors.  He kept taking off on his own trails and seemed perfectly content to stay there all day...without us!

We finally got to these little ponds-which in the spring they are full of fresh run-off water -they make great swimming holes!  I'm so excited to come back during those months next year and swim.  It's a perfect hike/swimming trail and it's got beautiful surroundings!  So fun.

Here Tony is helping the kids find-skeeters, crawdads and tiny baby frogs. 
 Charlie was quite giddy over this little guy in his hand
 and the other one being shoved in his face!  These kids are obsessed
with frogs, at any given time during this hike they had like 6 in possession.
(pockets, hands, backpack, where ever they could put them) 
 One time Kenzie (Ricki's girl)
tripped and fell on the rock and about 11 frogs went flying out of her hands!

It was a great day.  The kids were in heaven on this hike.  We need to do it more often.
Later that night we went to a BBQ at the park with some friends.  A perfect ending to the weekend.

3 comments:

Diane Wright said...

Mindy, I don't care what Marty says or how he complains, I love all the pictures you take. I feel like I'm almost there having fun with you. I love the picture of Charlie with his little frog. The look on his face is priceless. Your guys don't look like they are hiking, they look like they are modeling. Don't they ever get dirty or messy?

Heather said...

You guys look like such a cute little outdoors family! I'm totally trying melatonin next time we camp! That's awesome! I love baby frogs too, I love that they had them everywhere! Hasn't this weather been awesome!!!

Reeves Family said...

I did many hikes at Red Cliffs when I was in college at SUU. So many fun memories. Once again, I am so jealous of you and Tasha living my dream down in St. George :)